Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Finally.

i have cleaned my room.

this comes a little late, and perhaps by now the magic is gone. but i dont care. i'm still high on the substation control room's blue light, and sprouts still remains clearly imprinted in my head. it was one of those feelings, that i've arrived and that we've all reached a new level in TSD, (well, not quite TSD pe se, but i'm not really making much sense am i? i really just mean, as mates all living for something we all have come to love so deeply), and i can't help but feel that pride and joy to probably be the first batch to have done this. i may embarrass myself for lack of information, but i just want to proclaim how great it feels to have been able to be doing lights and sound for what is probably the first TSD performance not in the confines of VJ. for that i have 4 brilliant people to thank. who graciously and readily hugged me even after the tech screw up, to say it was ok. sprouts, thank you. :)

i have the urge to launch on a well worded reflection on the whole experience, but i've decided not to. i will embark on a reflection, but in my own style. i really wished we could have had at least a run, like multiple shows, because the magic can only get better and better as it is performed over and over. because every show is different, because theatre is ephemeral, and because different groups of people come and different reactions will be reaped. and maybe because i really wanted the magic to be pro-longed. i only came in to join sprouts late into the process, but my connection and my bond with it is really quite deep. perhaps it is because of the people and how as long as you were in 04A52 or 04A55, you'll always have a special place in my heart, and it is also because i really REALLY love the script and the message of the piece in it's entity. when you identify with something, instant connections are made. it's like making friends, sometimes the closest people are those you havent really known for long. and sometimes the briefest encounters make such an impact that you just wished, hoped, prayed, longed for it to just keep happening.

and i think that's why people can keep at the same show again and again for years on end on broadway or the west end. people just want permanance in a world that they have come to know as ephemeral.

anyway. the piece. said shortly and sweetly, it totally told my story. at least how i saw it, i couldnt help but to feel a connection with every one of the 3 characters. and my favourite scene had to be the dinner scene, though i really did like mich's monologue too. in so many ways, 'hello' epitomized perfectly the feelings and emotions that i've felt; the hurts, the fears, the things that make me who i am, my reactions, my thoughts, my feelings. they were all there. it was a sad ending, but it was one with hope. and standing by a somewhat optimistic view here, there is hope. because we all need SOMEBODY, and there is always going to be somebody. and the shadows and ghosts of our past may come back, and it may never be the same again, but there will always be someone. (i'm sorta losing sense of what i'm trying to say. blame it on iTunes. it just played a fantastic song that i feel summarises it all.)

Depeche Mode - Somebody

I want somebody to share
Share the rest of my life
Share my innermost thoughts
Know my intimate details
Someone who'll stand by my side
And give me support
And in return
She'll get my support
She will listen to me
When I want to speak
About the world we live in
And life in general
Though my views may be wrong
They may even be perverted
She'll hear me out
And won't easily be converted
To my way of thinking
In fact she'll often disagree
But at the end of it all
She will understand me

I want somebody who cares
For me passionately
With every thought
And with every breath
Someone who'll help me see things
In a different light
All the things I detest
I will almost like
I don't want to be tied
To anyone's strings
I'm carefully trying to stay clear
Out of those things
But when I'm asleep
I want somebody
Who will put their arms around me
And kiss me tenderly
Though things like this make me sick
In a case like this
I'll get away with it
And in a place like this
I'll get away with it
in summary, i am just glad to have been in TSD. :) and i hope we'll all return and flood the theatre industry. :)

on another note, hearing news that Lofty is leaving fills me with a great sadness. if there was any one person i really really really am grateful to in all my years in being in the damned screwed up education system in singapore, it has to be Lofty. no one has EVER, no single teacher has ever taught me to believe in myself the way he has. i am upset that he has to retire, that with each passing minute he grows older. i'm pretty sure that there are scores of people who feel the same way about Lofty as i do. whose lives were similarly changed because we met an extraordinary man who taught us all that we all had theatre senses in us, and above all taught us that we had it in us to do it.

i can only imagine what he must have felt after sprouts. i'm willing to GUESS that he must have been really really proud. :) remind me that if i EVER write a book/play, i must dedicate it to this man. :) perhaps now i should write a song. :)

ok i sound like i've got some weird obsession with Lofty. you know honestly, i dont know about the rest of TSD, but for me, he is really something. :) he really has given me so much belief in myself that i really never had before. :) so ok. i shall stop writing a tribute to him. haha :P

in anycase. WE MUST MUST MUST do something like this again. and sprouts has the honor of being the first in what i hope to be a series of collaborations among friends. :)

ok i must end here now before i continue about some nonsense shit. :P

PEACE OUT WORD!

we were living for the love we had, living not for reality

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home